We recommend that each officer become familiar with the following
1. Avoid combats that offer no chance of victory or other valuable
2. Make every effort for the success of the general plan and avoid
spectacular plays that have no bearing on the general result.
3. Have a definite plan and carry it out vigorously. Do not
4. Do not attempt complicated manoeuvers.
5. Keep the command in hand; avoid undue extension and dispersion.
6. Study the ground and direct the advance in such a way as to
take advantage of all available cover and thereby diminish losses.
7. Never deploy until the purpose and the proper direction are
8. Deploy enough men for the immediate task in hand; hold out the
rest and avoid undue haste in committing them to the action.
9. Flanks must be protected either by reserves, fortifications, or
10. In a decisive action, gain and keep fire superiority.
11. Keep up reconnaissance.
12. Use the reserve, but not until needed or a very favorable
opportunity for its use presents itself. Keep some reserve as long
13. Do not hesitate to sacrifice the command if the result is
worth the cost.
14. Spare the command all unnecessary hardship and exertion.
--Infantry Drill Regulations.