Advantages Of The Attack
(1) You can elect the point of attack while the defender must be
prepared to resist at all points.
(2) The fact that you are advancing in spite of the defender's fire
stimulates you and depresses the enemy.
(3) You leave your dead behind while the defender must fight among his
fallen comrades, which is demoralizing.
(4) You usually are conscious of the fact that you have more men on your
side than the defender. You have more rifles on the line than the
(5) Your fire is usually more efficacious than that of your opponent
because it is usually converging while his is diverging.
These advantages alone will not necessarily insure success, but fire
superiority, if gained and maintained, does insure success. By gaining
and maintaining fire superiority you remove all doubt as to the final
outcome of the attack.